Community consultations on South Surrey school boundary changes
Given the rapid growth that the South Surrey/White Rock area is currently experiencing, many of our schools in those communities are operating over capacity. While long-term solutions such as the new Ta’talu Elementary and additions to five South Surrey/White Rock zone elementary schools are in the works, the district is also working on short-term solutions to address the growing pains of our schools.
One of these solutions is boundary changes to current catchments.
The district is currently seeking community input on proposed catchment boundary moves in two South Surrey and White Rock neighbourhoods that would affect new students at seven elementary schools.
Through an online public consultation, Surrey Schools is gathering feedback on catchment changes that are designed to balance enrolment at neighbouring schools in the rapidly growing Grandview Heights area, as well as better align boundaries in the southwest corner of the peninsula.
Divided into two sets, the proposed changes would affect new students who enroll at Edgewood, Pacific Heights, Sunnyside, Bayridge, Chantrell Creek, Ocean Cliff and Ray Shepherd elementary schools. These proposed changes would not apply to students who already attend these schools or their siblings. Existing students and their siblings will be grandfathered into the current catchment areas.
Proposed Boundary Move 1: Edgewood Elementary to Sunnyside Elementary and Pacific Heights Elementary
- The area of Edgewood Elementary north of 24thAvenue is proposed to go to Sunnyside Elementary.
- The homes on the south side of 25th Avenue between 162nd and 164th Streets are proposed to go to Pacific Heights Elementary.
- The area of Edgewood Elementary east of Highway 15 and north of 20th Avenue is proposed to go to Pacific Heights Elementary.
Proposed Boundary Move 2: Bayridge Elementary, Chantrell Creek Elementary, Ocean Cliff Elementary and Ray Shepherd Elementary
- The area of Bayridge Elementary north of 22nd Avenue is proposed to go to Chantrell Creek Elementary.
- The area of Bayridge Elementary west of 140th Street/Nichol Road is proposed to go to Ray Shepherd Elementary.
- The area of Ray Shepherd Elementary west of 130th Street is proposed to go to Ocean Cliff Elementary.
As of Jan. 1, 2023, new students in the proposed move areas would attend their new catchment schools.
Our district will continue working with the Ministry of Education to increase capacity in our schools based on projected growth in each neighborhood, and to find ways to alleviate overcrowding.
Thank you for your patience and continued support.