Transitioning Your Child Into Kindergarten
There are many ways that you can make the transition to school go smoothly for your child:
- Image of student number workTalk often about Kindergarten and reassure your child that it will be an exciting experience.
- Attend the Kindergarten Open House at your child’s school in the spring.
- Find out when your child can meet his/her teacher and have a tour of the classroom before school begins in the fall.
- Help your child develop a sense of responsibility. Encourage your child to learn to look after his/her belongings.
- Read with your child daily and have conversations about the books read.
- Explore the world that your child lives in. Talk about what your child sees. Point out signs, numbers and letters that he/she sees.
- Provide opportunities for your child to interact with other children to promote the development of social skills.
- Encourage your child to know his/her personal information (i.e. first and last name and phone number).
- Celebrate together in the little accomplishments that occur each day.
- Pray together.