Student Bus Services
The ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM
for NEWLY REGISTERED STUDENTS is NOW OPEN
(bottom of this webpage)
The District cannot guarantee all registrants will be awarded a seat, however, every effort will be made to seat eligible students.
Families are responsible for providing transportation for their child to and from school until a seat may be awarded.
Please refer to Steps to Registering Student, below, before completing the application.
If you are experiencing problems with the online form:
Please contact Transportation Services at 604-572-0523 as soon as possible, or complete the ‘Student Bus Transportation - Registration Form’ (PDF) found under Resources.
STUDENTS MUST RE-APPLY FOR BUSING EACH SCHOOL YEAR.
ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR THE UPCOMING NEW SCHOOL YEAR
OPENS APRIL 15 AND CLOSES JULY 15.
APPLICATIONS RECEIVED WHEN THE DEADLINE HAS PASSED WILL BE PROCESSED
AFTER LABOUR DAY AND MAY TAKE UP TO 10 SCHOOL DAYS.
APPLICATIONS RECEIVED DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR
WILL BE PROCESSED WITHIN 10 SCHOOL DAYS.
If you have any questions or require assistance, please email: FACL-Transportation-Mail@surreyschools.ca
It's important to note that during peak periods, which includes but is not limited to the start of registration in late Spring and the start of the school year in September, the volume of requests is high. Staff will do their best to acknowledge having received your email within 48 hours. Please note that it could take up to 10 working days.
Eligible riders must live more than 4 km from their catchment school for students in grades K-3 and more than 4.8 km from their catchment school for students in grades 4-12.
For further information and documents for Special Needs busing, please contact student support or email Jean Gahan in Transportation at SPED-Transport@surreyschools.ca
For Information on school bus field trips click HERE. (You must be signed in as an Employee to access the link.)
Student Busing Guidelines
Students who are residents of the cities of Surrey or White Rock, and who meet the following criteria, will be considered eligible for regular school bus transportation to and from the school which has been designated by the Superintendent of Schools to serve their residence.
a) Kindergarten to Grade 3
Kindergarten to Grade 3 students who live in a residence that is located more than 4 km walking distance from their catchment school may apply for free bus transportation.
b) Grade 4 to Grade 12
Grades 4 to 12 students who live in a residence that is located more than 4.8 km walking distance from their catchment school may apply for free bus transportation.
Current Schools with Bus Service:
- Douglas Elementary
- Earl Marriott Secondary
- Grandview Secondary
- Salish Secondary
- North Surrey Secondary
- Fraser Heights Secondary
For transportation of students with special needs, please contact your school Principal.
General busing inquiries can be directed to 604-572-0500 or via email at:
We advise filling out the online registration form as it is the quickest way to get your student on the registration list.
All riders must apply for the upcoming school year between April 15 and July 15 for September start.
The online form is open to receive applications:
· April 15 to July 15 for the upcoming school year. Eligible riders for September start, and Courtesy riders for October 1.
· October 31 to February 28 for students NEW to the District &/or School. Students will be advised within 10 school days.
All applications will receive an email response outlining their eligibility and category for ridership.
If you do not receive a response within 10 work days contact Transportation Services. (EXCEPTION: Applications submitted from July 16 to Labour Day will receive a reply AFTER LABOUR DAY.)
Students must register for busing prior to each school year.
Steps to Registering Student
Step 1: Ensure student information is up-to-date with the school
If your student is moving to a new school or a new home before September 2021 (or at any time during the school year) you must advise the school. It is important to ensure your home address at the school is always up to date. The address you provide on the bus registration will be verified with what is currently on file. You can request changes by contacting your student's school office. *Please note that if your student already receives busing their eligibility may change depending on your address.
If your address is accurate at the school, please proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Determine rider eligibility / category
If you are new to the District, or to our transportation system, review our FAQ page 2022-23 Bus Services FAQs.pdf to understand our system, registration process, and determine if your student is an eligible rider.
What is my Catchment school?
If you are not sure which school catchment your home is located, please use this online tool to help you determine which school your student should be registered.
Start by entering your street name. The locator will immediately begin listing streets and avenues as you type.
Select your street or avenue.
Check the "I'm not a robot" box, and then click on Find My School.
Click on the range of numbers that your address falls in.
Your Elementary and Secondary Catchment schools will be listed as below.
Verify that the catchment school listed is one of the schools the District provides busing (listed above).
What is my Walk Distance?
If you are not sure how far your walk distance is from home to school, please use Google Maps. Google your student's catchment school.
Click on Directions and enter your home address (without apartment number) in the search bar using the WALK icon. The shortest distance are the kilometres that the bus system uses to calculate your eligibility.
Is your student a Rider with Diverse Abilities?
Special Needs Busing:
If your student is eligible for special needs busing as per Regulation 5400.1:
- Physically disabled students who, due to distance and/or severity of their disability, are unable to walk or take public transit.
- Students with special needs who have a Ministry of Education designation, Inclusive Education designation, or are placed in a District Inclusive Education program (refer to Student Support Services).
- Students who have already been approved by Learning Support Services.
If you believe your student is eligible for special needs busing and has not registered for transportation before, please speak with your student's Learner Support Team at the school for information on the application and approval process.
Registration begins early April, and the deadline to register for the upcoming school year is June 30th. Students must register for busing prior to each school year.
District Busing for Special Needs:
Students who have a special need or chronic health designation from the ministry (as recorded by the school), who can get on and off the bus without assistance or an attendant, and who do not require special needs busing, can qualify to receive free District busing.
Register your student through the online bus registration system. (We cannot make any changes to an application until the student shows as being registered.)
Once your student has been registered contact the Administrative team at your student’s future school. Special Need and Chronic Health Designations must be requested for exemption prior to each school year. The school will advise Transportation Services of the designation and fees will be waived.
Transportation Services will email the family with new results.
Note: Only the designated student eligible for transportation can be bussed, even though siblings may attend the same school.
Step 3: Complete ONLINE registration form
Please complete the online registration form to help us plan bus routes and prepare communications notifying you of potential approval. When asked for a student number, please insert your student's correct *Pupil or PEN Number.
You cannot register more than one student using the same Student/ Pupil/PEN number, and cannot register more than one student on a single form.
If your student is newly registered with the school, or you do not know what the Pupil number is, please contact the school office for your child's Student (Pupil) or PEN Number.
You do not have to pay to complete this registration form but must SUBMIT the form to complete the process and receive a status notification email. PLEASE CHECK YOUR REGISTRATION CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING. If you do not receive a status reply email within the allotted time, the email provided was not entered correctly. (Chances are it had an unintentional space after.)
NOTE: Confirmation of registration completion does not automatically mean ridership approval.
Troubleshooting tips for Completing the ONLINE form questions:
1. Student First Name: Geneean
Please ensure you enter the name of the student as you would like it to appear on the Bus Pass. (You can use Usual & Nicknames other than legal name, however, they must be on file at the school.) Do not use all capitals or all lower-case letters for a student's name. Correct examples above, and below:
2. Student Last Name: de la Francois
3. School Attending: Only the schools that receive busing will be in this list. Please do not type in a school that does not receive busing. You will receive an email reply, however, your application will be rejected by the system.
4. Catchment School: If you do not know your student's catchment school NEXT YEAR, please use the School Locator tool found in Step 2.
Choice Programs: It is a family’s prerogative to "choose" whichever school their student wishes to attend in the district. As per Surrey School District Regulation 5400.1 (Section 6):
Students attending Programs of Choice outside their catchment school are not eligible for free transportation. (Programs of choice: French Immersion, Athletics, Montessori, Trades programs, etc.)
6. Student ID Number (*Pupil Number): It is essential that the correct Pupil Number be entered into the form. (A Pupil Number is 6 to 7 digits in length.) Incorrect entry of student numbers will still produce an email response, however, the application will be rejected and the registration will not be accepted by the busing system. If you do not know the Pupil (Student) or PEN Number, contact the school.
9. Unit / Apartment Number: Please ensure you enter the APARTMENT or UNIT number (numbers only) in the Apt. Number field. DO NOT ENTER A HOUSE NUMBER IN THIS AREA or you may receive an incorrect response email since the mapping system will calculate from the wrong location to the school.
10. Address: Enter the Street address INCLUDING House number. Please use correct spaces as required; do not use punctuation such as periods, dashes, or commas; and avoid 'nd', ‘st’ or 'th' when completing an address. Use correct abbreviations, or full names, for streets and avenues: Ave / Avenue, St / Street, Dr / Drive, Hwy / Highway. Street and Avenue names that include a letter must be next to the number.
16659 Fraser Hwy
7929 152 St
7767 145A Street
14445 64 Ave
7515 Wiltshire Dr
7423 King George Blvd
Incorrect = bsmt 123- 10355-152nd st
12. Postal Code: V3W 5R5 (numbers and capitals)
13. & 14. Phone numbers: 555-555-5555 (include dashes)
15. Parent / Guardian Email: Please ensure your address is entered correctly and has NO unintended spaces added to ensure you receive a timely status reply. Surprisingly, a little more than 15% of student applications have an incorrect email entered into the form (and most of those have an unintended space added after the address).
Step 4: Confirm registration has been received (ALL riders)
You will receive a reply email from the District's transportation staff within 10 working days confirming the registration form has been completed, and to communicate potential next steps in the process. If you have not heard from the District's transportation staff within 10 work days after completing the online registration, please email: FACL-Transportation-Mail@surreyschools.ca or call 604-572-0523.
Please take note of the following:
If you receive an email with the subject:
· Your bus route has been confirmed - that means your student is an eligible rider (free).
· Surrey Schools bus transport request – Courtesy (fee paying) Waitlisted - that means your student is
a courtesy rider (paying) and has been placed on the waitlist.
Waitlisted students will be notified beginning October 1st.
If the application is received between July 16 and Labour Day courtesy students will be notified of their status not later than October 15.
If the reply indicates information other than above, please contact FACL-Transportation-Mail@surreyschools.ca
Please note: The District will approve rider eligibility based on home to school calculations determined by our system. You can check your potential eligibility by referring to Step 2.
If the online Application does not open, complete the "Student Bus Transportation - Registration Form", below.